Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Diamond In The Ruff: The East Flatbush Project "Tried By 12"

When I look back on my life and see what things really influenced me, I always think of music as a staple point in my history. In the 90's, I spent a lot of my time staying up late to listen to college radio. Now for those who are not into hip hop or any underground music scene for that matter than this will be something new to y'all. Hip Hop's solid foundation began on college radio and if you were a hip hop enthusiast such as myself, you prided yourself on knowing all of the new joints dropping and you recorded everything, and I mean everything because college radio was the only dimension to find good music. Growing up in Ottawa, I had CKCU & CHUO at my disposal with such epic shows as "Peaceful Journey and Jeep Beats". My man El Karam was education the nations capital not only with exclusives and classics combined by flawless mixing and juggling. I was completely influenced by his style and music taste and I am happy to say that 15 years later I am still down with the get down and holding on to traditions. I heard "tried by 12" for the first time on the "Peaceful Journey". Would love to hear any stories y'all have from that time. Enjoy